Friday, May 14, 2010

Power-outages, Rodents... Countdown till the USA

Over the last month or so I have started re-experiencing the culture shock curve. I have started reliving some of my initial shocks and experience whole new ones! Maybe it is because I'm close to home. Maybe it is because Vietnam wanted to throw a few more curve balls before it let me leave. Who really knows?

The heat... oh the heat... I didn't realize how hot it was until the power started going out every other day. (Power outages in Vietnam due to energy shortages. LAME.) Luckily reading requires little to no movement and my awesome imagination allows me to pretend I'm somewhere else. It is like the Holodeck on StarTrek, except in my mind! (Yes, I totally went there.)

Sounds in the night. Now I've never been one to be afraid of the monster underneath my bed, but I am one to shiver at the thought of a small creature IN my bed. Not cool, Vietnam, not cool. At least I've figured out how to keep them out. Or at least I'm going to pretend I did, because that is the only way I'm going to be able to sleep.

Countdowns. This isn't to say I'm not having fun and enjoying my time. It is to say that my time is in fact ending and I am getting excited about my upcoming plans. I have one more full week in Ba Ria. This weekend I'm off to Singapore with Corinne (WOOT!) then a week in Hue with the gang. Then a full week in blistering-hot-Ba Ria (the place I have come to call my home for the last 9 - 10 months). Then off to gallivant around Southeast Asia.

Then Home. Can't help but think about the sensation of stepping off the plane onto US soil to be greeted by my loved ones! YAY!

But for now, I'm going to put in my headphones and I'm going to pretend I don't hear that scratching sound in the dark corner of the room. I am going to pretend I not sweating through my clothes and sheets. Because really, even if I have to use my imagination a bit, I've got to live it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment