Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 4

Gratitudes:
It has been a busy day, so I have a few extra gratitudes today...
(1) I got to catch up with a former teacher
(2) My mom made spring rolls for lunch, MY FAVORITE! (YUM!)
(3) I really feel like I got to know my future sister-in-law a lot more this weekend
(4) I cleaned my apartment (Finally!  It has been 3 months or so since I gave my apartment any more than a quick tidying.  I guess I have been in move out mode for about that long and didn't realize how much the clutter and disorganization was getting to my mental clarity. Feels good.)
(5) Michael Thompson tied for 2nd place in the US Open!  So exciting!!!




Reflection:
My dad's childhood friend, someone I know as Chu Canh, flew in from California to celebrate my dad's ordination.  My dad has lots of stories about him and Chu Canh from Vietnam (Chu Canh is my dad's only friend from Vietnam that he is still in touch with).  Chu Canh does not receive communion when he goes to church.  But today, at my dad's first mass, he waited somewhat shyly at the end of the line as my dad distributed the eucharist.  My dad seeing Chu Canh, tried to present the eucharist, but then realized that Chu Canh didn't want the body of Christ, he wanted a blessing.  After moments to clarify, my dad gave his brother-in-all-but-blood, a blessing.  It was beautiful to watch and moved me to tears.  (I might not be describing it well enough here.)



Meditation:
Loyalty and Friendship.  Treasuring it and the moments.

Good deed:
Volunteering to help my mom with fruit and other desserts so that she could rest and enjoy the company of our visitors.

Exercise:
I actually woke up at 7am this morning and did my cardio before mass. Legitimate. :D

Random Extras:
From Matthieu Ricard's TED Talk on Happiness.  He is considered one of the happiness people on earth.

If you look at the thought of anger, it will vanish like frost under the morning sun (like trying to sit on a cloud).  If you do this again and again the propensity/tendency for anger to arise again will be less and less each time you dissolve it.  In the end although it may arise it will just cross the mind like a bird crossing the sky without leaving any tracks.

Here Ricard is talking about dissolving anger.  Not to indulge the impulse to release it or take it out on someone, nor does it work to bottle it.  But rather he suggests examining it and realizing how futile and useless it is. There are other ways to solve problems, other ways to resolve conflict.  Anger only gets in the way.  So dissolve it.

1 comment:

  1. Spring rolls are delicious, and even though I am super full, I wants some! Aww, that makes me happy, I'm really happy you guys got to spend quality time together, and calling her future sister-in-law, I don't know why, but awkward turtle, but it gives me warm fuzzies at the same time. It's a very confusing feeling. :-P
    Michael Thompson is so awesome! When I heard that he was joining the PGA I was really surprised. I'm glad to hear/see that he's doing well.

    Man, the only thing I can remember that weekend was doing the dishes a bajillion times and the amount never seemed to reduce, no matter how much Yen and I washed. Ugh. OH! Also before I forget, you should look up this guy who never left college. He has like 27 degrees, and says he'll probably stop when he hits 32 or 33. :-P

    ReplyDelete