Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Reinforcing my Zen bubble

Day 7

Meditation:

How do I reinforce my zen bubble.


Something occurred to me recently.  After this 21 day reprogramming of my brain, if I don't do something to maintain it I could accidentally reprogram my brain for negativity again in another 21 days.  How do I avoid that?  I don't think that this can stop after just 21 days because it is like a diet, if you go on a diet you might lose weight, but if you go back to your normal food, you'll gain all your weight back.  So how can I make sure that these changes are sustainable? Or in other words, how do I reinforce my zen bubble?

My brainstorming has come up with the following solutions:
- Continue with 3 gratitudes and exercise daily. 
- At least once a week journal a good happening
- Do a good deed/random act of kindness once a week
- Meditate or do yoga once a week (or both! - time to live it up)
- Smile at myself in the morning - more on this in a bit.


Hopefully this will help me build and reinforce a robust zen bubble.

Reflections:
I started thinking about reinforcing my zen bubble yesterday during a stressful day.  I was trying to coordinate with my roommate about electricity and internet and we just weren't seeing eye to eye.  Clients at work were starting to get antsy and I had no idea how to deliver the work we promised since management was tied up with other pressing clients.  Managers were contacting me from different directions (office phone, chat, email, cell phone... It was really a recipe for destroying the fragile zen bubble I had been cultivating.


So I stopped and put my head in my hands at work and took 10 deep breaths.  What was really happening?  Why was I feeling stressed, uneasy, and frustrated?  (This was me trying to harness Ricard's examine your anger exercise.) 

First, I wasn't sure how I would get along with my roommate if we were already disagreeing.  That would be a year of my life in an uncomfortable living situation.  So my solution, get to know her and find common ground.  But table that for later that night.

Second, I had no idea how to approach the issue with this client.  So I reached out for help.  My coworker helped me problem solve and before long all the ringing, pinging, and dinging stopped.  Even though I can't say that my frustration completely dissipated I had a clear enough mind to ask for help and to get what I needed done. For that I am truly thankful.

By the end of the night I was calm and at peace again.  I realized that I don't always have to be okay, it is okay to not be okay.  But it is important to get the clarity to do what you need to do and to address the problems at hand. (Another interesting blog to check out, click here for link.  Thanks Miriam for share this one.)


On top of all of this (sorry for the rambling, I'm almost done...) I was brushing my teeth this morning and I noticed that I was grinning at myself making sure I had brushed well.  Then I laughed because I thought I looked funny.  But it was a great way to start the day.  I have read that people who kiss their significant others in the morning before work, have more positive days.  I can't do that, so I can at least start my days off with a smile.


Gratitudes:
1) I am glad I had a good conversation with my roommate last night.
2) I reconnected with a good friend of mine over dinner and drinks
3) Everything seems a little more manageable today. (This is a HUGE step for me. YAY!)

Exercise:
I woke up early and got my heart rate up.  Jumping jacks and other cardio.  I might still try to hit the gym tonight, we'll see how wishful that is when 5pm rolls around.

Random Act of Kindness:
I spent extra time and care responding to emails this morning.  I was sure to continue to express my gratitude and admiration for the lovely people I have in my life (at least the ones in my inbox). Today my inbox, tomorrow the world!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That baby has the face like "I hid your keys! See if you can guess where I hid them" haha.

    I have those moments in the mirror myself. For some reason, I will just have this weird look, which triggers something in my brain that just makes me giggle. So I look away, and shyly look back, and it makes me giggle again. It is quite an exhilarating feeling, yet it makes me feel very awkward at the same time. So very awkward.

    ReplyDelete